Before your neuro-ophthalmology exam, we ask that you please read the following instructions so you know what to bring and what will happen during the visit. We also recommend that you arrange for transportation home after the exam as your eyesight will be blurry.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the office and we'll be happy to assist you.
Preparing for the Neuro-Ophthalmology Examination:
- Request that your treating physicians send all relevant information to us prior to your appointment, including office notes, results of laboratory tests, visual fields, OCTs, retina pictures, and reports of CT and MRI scans.
- If you have had a CT or MRI scan performed, arrange to pick up the actual films or a copy in a CD/DVD and bring them with you at your appointment.
- You will probably have your pupils dilated during the visit. The eye drops last about 4 hours and will make things look bright and blurry up close. Have someone else drive you to the appointment and bring your sunglasses.
- Ladies, in order for the physician to get a good look at your eyelids and to avoid ruining your appearance when the eye drops are administered, do not wear eye makeup.
- Bring a complete list of medications with you, including the name and dosage of prescription and over-the-counter medications.
What happens during the evaluation?
- The neuro-ophthalmologic evaluation is one of the most comprehensive examinations you will experience. It may take a few hours to complete. You will be asked to give an account of your current problem and relate your entire medical history, including previous hospitalizations, operations, serious illnesses, medical problems in your family members, and medication allergies.
- You will have a complete eye examination. This may include testing of your peripheral vision (visual field test), taking pictures of your eyes and your optic nerves (HRT/OCT), and Ultrasound of your eyes.
- You may have a partial or complete neurologic exam to test your strength, sensation, and coordination.
- The neuro-ophthalmologist will review the records and scans from previous evaluations, if applicable.
- After the examination, the neuro-ophthalmologist will discuss the diagnosis (or possible diagnoses), the need for any additional testing and possible treatment.
Words from our patients
"Dr. B is the FIRST physician to CARE and LISTEN to my journey & symptoms. I almost cried; someone finally cared enough to listen & explain what I've been experiencing."
"He is a true doctor, not just trying to make money off of you, he is really trying to help you! I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Bose!"
"No other Doctor was able to successfully diagnose and treat me. If any of you out there need help with your eyes I highly recommend him."
"He is the most calming and reassuring individual whom I have had the honor to meet, and Dr. Bose has treated my mother with great care and compassion."
"I had a lot of anxiety during my first visit, but Dr. Bose put me at ease. He listened to my concerns and made me feel taken care of. I'm lucky to have him treating me."
"The office is modern, clean and stocked with state of the art equipment. Dr. Bose you gave me all the time I needed to properly exam and diagnose."
"It's unfortunately rare these days to find a doctor with a good bedside manner [...] so it was very appreciated to find exactly that in Dr. Bose."
"He was extremely friendly, attentive, with an incredible sense of humor, and it was quite evident he cared and approached things in a positive way."
"He gives the best advice and you don't leave until you have the answers you need. He and all of his staff are extremely helpful and friendly."
""I walked in there thinking I was doomed by a diagnosis from a previous Doctor and after Dr. Bose's logical explanations, I was happily convinced that I was ok."
"He takes the time to explain the issues, the options, and the solutions that are best for each patient. He spends the time needed to make sure you understand everything"
"Dr. Bose and his staff are thorough, professional and approachable. State of the art equipment gave me even more confidence in Dr Bose's ability to safeguard my eyes."
"Dr. Bose was incredibly thorough and sensitive. His staff was amazing and kind."
8631 West 3rd Street, Suite 200E
Cedars Sinai Medical Towers
Los Angeles, CA 90048